Annual Meeting Minutes – 12/11/2016
Iowa Taekwondo Alliance Meeting
Sunday Dec 11, 2016 Teleconference Meeting
Number: 712-432-3022, Code 905529
Called to order by Erin Carpenter at 9:05pm
Present: Erin Carpenter, Justin Faiferlick, Ryan Bishop, Mike Wickham, Chris Schear, Karen Collins, Anne Neumann, Scott Phelps, Amy Ratekin, Mark Ratekin, Dave Carpenter, and Jim Harp.
Absent: Brandon Miller, Jason Pak, Belmina Cosic, Teresa Nickell, Thomas Hawkins jr
- President Erin C thanked the board members for their contributions over the past year.
- Approved previous meeting minutes (01/17/2016).
- Treasurer Karen Collins reported a balance of $14,330.58, which is an increase of $4400 over past year.
- Elections for 2017.
- Erin Carpenter, President
- Scott Phelps, Executive Vice President – mid term
- Amy Ratekin, Vice President – mid term
- Justin Faiferlick, Secretary – mid term
- Karen Collins, Treasurer – mid term
- Regional Delegates
- Teresa Nickell, Eastern Iowa
- Chris Schear, Central Iowa
- Anne Neumann, Western Iowa
- Brandon Miller, Club Representative
- David Carpenter, Coach Representative
- Mike Wickham, Referee Representative
- Thomas Hawkins Jr, Kyorugi Athlete Representative
- Ryan Bishop, Poomsae Athlete Representative
- Nominations ceased, closed, and no objections. Take effect Jan 1, 2017.
- State Qualifier. Erin C submitted documents for approval to USAT to remain state association to host state qualifier. USAT is behind schedule. Amy R made arrangements for the Iowa Center for Higher Learning (old AIB gymnasium), Fleur Drive in Des Moines. Reserved for Friday for referee seminar/weigh in, and Saturday for the competition. Price is $1400. Hoping to have Master Wickham host a referee seminar Friday. Hotel reservations at Holiday Inn with shuttles available. Date is March 04. Mike W commented Marty Marcus possibly bringing Poomsae notebooks. Amy R said Seth Wilson committed to bringing Daedo. Just waiting for USAT approval. Justin F mentioned the ability to host this event for practically $0 and asked for more coordination on date selected.
- Membership Update: USAT member living in Iowa they qualify as ITA member. Enhanced memberships includes 11 club members (down from 14), 9 individual (down from 13), collected $1700 in membership fees, $1450 in event fees minus transaction and platform fees, bringing in $2821.73 (down slightly from last year). We hosted less seminars and only had 2 events (down from 3 or 4). Would like to do more next year and would like to give back to our members more this year.
- Events for next year will include state qualifier and referee seminar. Ryan Bishop interested in hosting/running Poomsae referee seminar and poomsae seminar possibly Feb 11 or 18. Possibly host another rumble closer to qualifier or between qualifier and nationals. Amy R suggested looking at our mission statement to see what other events might be a good fit. Ryan B said he would check with Brandon M as the Club Representative to see how else we can get the clubs involved and see what they are interested in doing. Erin C can send email of those clubs that have not renewed. We do events for athletes and some for referees but not as much for coaches. Erin C mentioned possibly working on developing application process for reimbursements for nationals or other events. Area delegates need to reach out to clubs in their areas. Erin C to try to get a list of current club members in Iowa so we know who is involved in our grass roots association. Scott P will try to get list of AAU schools from AAU president to include them in our ITA. Ryan B interested in help getting athletes better with competition Poomsae, more daedo with sparring and changes in rules for both Poomsae and Kyorugi. Amy R mentioned a couple more rumbles would be great, maybe some for beginners and some for advanced. Scott P recommended not limiting rumbles with daedo and just use an open room with a 2 minute timer, 2 hours in the morning for young ones, and 2 hours in the afternoon for older ones, more like a huge sparring practice with few or no referees.
- Open/Action Items:
- ITA Merchandise available? Committee: Schear, Ratekin, Carpenter, Miller.
- Erin C: Waiting USAT approval for state qualifier and referee seminar.
- Mike W: Marty Marcus bringing Poomsae notebooks to state qualifier
- Ryan B said he would check with Brandon M as the Club Representative to see how else we can get the clubs involved and see what they are interested in doing
- Erin C send email of those clubs that have not renewed ITA membership
- Erin C developing application process for reimbursements for nationals/events
- Area delegates need to reach out to clubs in their areas.
- Erin C to try to get a list of current club members in Iowa so we know who is involved in our grass roots association.
- Scott P will try to get list of AAU schools from AAU president to include them in our ITA.
- Meeting adjourned, no objections, 9:52pm